Respite Care Services Can Benefit Seniors and Caregivers
As a caregiver, the daily routine of caring for a loved one with dementia can be a full-time job and can bring stress to everyday life. As a senior, the day to day tasks of meal preparation, cleaning and transportation can quickly become daunting. Short-term respite care can help.
What some seniors and caregivers may not realize is that short-term (or respite) stay options are available at some senior communities. As a caretaker it can be difficult to find time for your own physical and emotional needs; however, your wellbeing is just as important as your loved one.
Below are a few ways in which a short-term respite stay can benefit both seniors and their caregivers:
- Respite care increases socialization opportunities for seniors beyond their family.
- Encourages seniors to stay active physically and mentally.
- Improves the dining experience for older persons who do not have regular companionship during meal time.
- Provide an emotional and physical break for the caregiver to take care of themselves and find time for activities to reduce stress.
- Creates an extended support system for the caregiver and ultimately provide peace of mind that their loved one will be taken care of when or if they need to be away for a short time.
Senior communities may offer overnight respite care for days, weeks or months. Respite suites typically provide the same amenities and activities to an individual as if they were living at the community full time.
Below are a few situations where short-term respite care can help:
- The senior wants to evaluate a community to see if it’s a good fit before making the decision to move in permanently.
- The caregiver needs a break or has to travel but does not feel comfortable leaving their loved one alone.
- The senior is feeling isolated and could benefit from socialization and daily activities offered at a senior living community.
Regardless of the reason, it’s best to involve both the senior and the caregiver when choosing which senior community is best for a respite stay. Understanding what options are available for you or your loved one can be the key to creating a plan that works.
If you are interested in learning more about respite stay options at Renaissance, please reach out to a Senior Living Advisor at 813-344-2633.